Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Consistent Growth

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." Chinese Proverb
One of my weaknesses is the lack of patience actually I would even go as far to say my main weakness is impatience with self. I know it is said "we are our worst critic" or "we hold ourselves to an impossible standard" but I have hidden beneath the phrase you need to always expect more from yourself.

Running has been at the center of my communication recently because at the moment I am training for a half marathon on March 18. Well today while driving to work after my run I found myself getting upset because my pace had not increased as much as I would have like it to. I got mad I am talking really pissed when I thought about my time this morning and I started to identify all my deficiencies, my stride is not long enough, I am too heavy to obtain my desired pace, I don't push myself as much as I need to, then I stopped in mid thought. You see one of the things I promised myself is I will learn to celebrate my wins no matter how small they are. Then I literally changed the tone of the conversation with self, "I get up at 3:45am every day to run, I run despite the temperature (considering the fact that I am 100% island girl we love sun and its been below 20 degrees at times here), I have shaved more than 30 seconds off a mile in less than 2 weeks, and my weight is dropping. After I said that to myself I started smiling because no matter how small my accomplishments may seem I am making strides daily and that is what it is about. So many times I have lost sight of the things that matter because of my impatience but today I grew a little so I am really happy. I am a work in progress and I have seen consistent growth over the past year, that's what it is about. Rock your life it is the only one you have....

No comments:

Post a Comment